Saturday, March 22, 2008

All Dressed Up


If you're keeping score, get ready to make a mark in the "bone head moment" column. We got the boys all dressed up today (in matchy-matchy) to go to a birthday party. We also wrapped presents and talked about cupcakes and balloons and party manners. So exciting.
Then we loaded up the car and drove around the block to the supposed location of the birthday party. Ummmm... I got the days switched. Breaking the news was a little like a Deep Thought from John Handy. (Remember this one: One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no,' I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down, he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.)
I'm telling you there was supposed to be a brithday party today. Well, there was. But it was for our across-the-street neighbor celebrating her 70th. I got the Saturdays switched. The toddler birthday party is next Saturday. At least we didn't miss the kid one. Now I just need to bake some "forgive me" bread for our poor neighbor.
PS -- Worried about the kids and the big birthday let down? Don't be. They have been utterly lavished with gifts this weekend. They will live.
PSS -- Photo note: Our boys snuggling on the kitchen rug. Gross. I don't know why they do this.

No comments: