Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Thank You for all the Hoopla


December is singular in its strangeness. Unlike the eleven months preceding it, It's like a gigantic deadline we're all waiting for to realize, "Oh my goodness the year is almost over and I've yet to have fun." Then we frantically plan parties, activities, and get-together all over the place. In our camp it gets especially frenzied because there are quite a few December birthdays to spread around.

But I have to say Thank You to all the folks who remember December is for having fun. Not just when it's your birthday, or someone else's, or you know... the BIG holiday. It really is your last fling before buckling down for the coming year. You know, that new year when you'll actually loose weight, actually finish updates to the house, actually get organized, actually save more money. Pah-leez. That doesn't sound like fun. But eggnog and good conversation does. So do it. (Actually I'd rather like the bottom of my foot than drink eggnog, but you get the picture.)

We're also grateful to all the people who remember us in December and send us stuff. I even love the parade of ridiculous Christmas cards. Call me sentimental, but I like correspondence. And in this past year, I've remembered how much I really like it. There have been two people who have reignited our appreciation for opening the mailbox this year. Our family -- you just would not believe the spectacular surprises that have shown up throughout the year from our loved ones. And a stranger. Well, she was a stranger until July of this year. Just some sewing compatriot who I spied on via the blog world... you know, like the rest of you. And then I met her. And she sent me a note -- just because -- via the mail. The mail. Antiquated, surprisingly sentimental mode of communication. Try it sometime. Or, at the very least, send a handwritten holiday card. It will make someone's day. (And you might just remember what your penmanship looks like.)

PS -- Speaking of deadlines... I'm busy. I've been sewing Christmas presents and such. No. time. to write.

PHOTO NOTE: I know it looks like Mason is naked in this photo, but he is not.

3 comments:

Claudia said...

Oh my gosh...love him. Hope he likes the tent and gets his adventure on!

It is kind of like a mad dash at the end of the year, isn't it? I once saw a cartoon in the Atlantic Monthly magazine titled "The Four Holidays of the Apocalypse," with Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's Eve all depicted carrying their various goods (jack-o-lanterns, cornacopias, gifts, party hats, etc) riding skeleton-like horses. The mad dash before the end...

Katlyn said...

We just finished our Christmas cards so you will be getting one from us soon too

laurel said...

Cool tent! You are so amazing. Every post blows my mind. Don't believe me? Check our my latest post....it was inspired by YOU!
Love Mason in the goo in the previous post!