Monday, July 19, 2010

Beside Myself

I am absolutely angry. That's right, bent out of shape! I lost my phone. More accurately, I left it behind in a gym class and when I returned to get it less than an hour later it was gone. Gone. Gone. Gone. Like stolen gone. Grrrrrrr...

Despite telling myself that whoever took it needed it far more than I did, I'm livid. If you know me, you know that when I get mad I am fierce. In the midst of researching new phone options I was struck down by what went missing with my palm-sized technology. My lists.

Not just any lists but two of my very favorite, most treasured lists. The lists of books to read (that have not yet made it onto my master list at goodreads.com) and my list of kidisms (that have not yet made it onto the blog). I had transcribed a 20-minute conversation that Cooper had with a pretty girl at the park -- which is so so so funny. And now it is gone.

First things first. If you haven't been able to reach me as of late, that is why. I have NO idea how civilization sustained itself without smartphones. This experiment in being out-of-touch has made me over-the-top disorganized, frenzied with useless running back and forth to use landlines and desktops, and maniacally ignorant of the world around me.

Next, if you need to get ahold of me, tough. The phone I want is backordered for weeks.

Lastly, I have learned, a smartphone isn't all it's chalked up to be. And when I have a new one in hand -- oh you know it is just a matter of time -- I will leave it at home more often. Namely, trips to the pool without phones are blissful. I won't be taking that bad boy to the gym, ever again. I think I burned more calories this week without it. And I absolutely am making dinnertime a phone-free zone.

PS -- If you have a book suggestion for my new and improved book list, leave a comment here.

4 comments:

khall@cbutah.com said...

Hopefully your phone will show up--maybe some "good samaritan" took it home in an effort to protect your phone and get it back to you safely!--good luck.
I love reading your blog--you have such great insight--you always make me think about the small details of life that I miss.

Glenda said...

I know you lost your phone, but what's wrong with using your land line or e-mail once in awhile? Hope you have a great time next week!

Ryan and Andrea said...

I am so sorry-that sucks! At least you have an excuse as to why you NEVER ANSWER!!

Adamo said...

In light of your recently forced simplicity, I suggest "Walden" by Henry David Thoreau. I can't recall reading a book of literature leaving as large of an imprint on me as that one. But if it's a little too ruggedly individualistic for your taste, "Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass, an American Slave", had a powerful emotional impact on me when I read it--incidentally the same summer as Walden.