Sunday, June 7, 2009

Eventually


"Mommy!" he screamed from the backseat. It was the kind of voice that I've heard before, signaling a forgotten toy or a sibling dispute. But he continued.

"There is black hair! on! my! legs!" he exclaimed in something that was half excitement and half fear.

Calmly -- and choking back a laugh -- I asked, "What does that mean?"

"It means I have to move out, soon! I'm going to be a big boy and you're going to make me move away!"

Oh little man. Not yet. You can stay, for as long as you need me. Just remember that someday I'm going to kick you out and even though it doesn't feel like it, it's because you don't need me anymore.

4 comments:

Claudia said...

That is probably the cutest thing I've heard in a long time (in a "my baby is growing up" kind of way). I'm already thinking how Claire is growing up, and she's not quite 6 months old yet! I love Coopers thoughts. He is so well spoken.

laurel said...

That is so dang cute!!!

Adamo said...

Black hair on his legs. That's awesome. If getting black hair on your face is a litmus test for moving out, I shouldn't have done that until I was 23.

torrent said...

This reminds me of the time I came home to find Andrew standing in the mirror carefully examining three armpit hairs he had grown. When he saw me he turned and said with a somber/serious face, "Dude...look!"