Sunday, August 22, 2010

Summer's Gone


I hate to burst your water balloon, but summer's gone. She flew away while we had chlorine in our eyes and none of us noticed how quickly she vanished.

The school bell sounded and suddenly I found my oldest was not in my garden, but in Kindergarten. With his shirt buttoned all the way up to his fairly clean chin and his backpack saggin' he stood in line under a huge and waving American flag and just walked right in leaving me waving good-bye and good luck and I'll see you at 4 p.m.


We have had delicious fun in the sun. We have played and sweated and stayed up late; and now we have to tow the line. Our lazy days, our party days, our late-night-dinners on the porch days are done, until June 2, 2011.

Surprisingly I have no tears for Summer and her rude departure, because I see fall on the horizon. I simply can't resist those Back-to-School Nights, new teachers, and playground friends. It helps that I have a new pair of boots in my closet that simply cannot be donned until the wind chills and the leaves fall, and maybe the snow flies.

PS -- The official First Day of Kindergarten photo was taken with my new phone! And I can't figure out how to get it off. So, stay tuned to see more.

2 comments:

Adamo said...

Wow. They grow up fast. I hope that there is a bathroom near his class. When I started kindergarten, I was in one of those double wide educational trailers. If I had to go to bathroom I had to walk into the school and find one. I went got lost, got scared and it didn't end well.

Glenda said...

No matter how often I see them, I can't get over Coop's eye lashes....you could paint a bedroom wall with them.