Wednesday, September 17, 2008

A Matter of Record

Do you remember what you were doing last year? How does it compare to this year? If you have no idea, then you should be blogging. One of the greatest benefits I have experienced from this blogging life is that I can remember some of the things we have endured and enjoyed over the past year.

It just so happens that last year at this time I was intently potty training Cooper. And this year, I'm potty training, again. Thankfully Mason is much more interested than Coop was. And the strange part is, I'm not really encouraging or promoting potty training (I have my reasons). He's just doing it. Just to be fair and honest, he's no pro. But, he likes to wear underwear and is pretty aware that he should keep it dry. He will "go" every time we put him on the toilet. He needs a bit more time, but I can tell it will take far less bribery, treats, and gifts.

Last year at about this time we had just returned from a vacation. This year, we're preparing to leave on a little vacation. (Hmmmm... how will I keep up on my novel goal?!??!!)

I had sick kids last September. I have sick kids this September. In fact, Coop's had to restart his nebulizer treatments. (We only got to take August off.)

My sewing skills were growing and my hobby was becoming an obsession. This year, well, I'm not even going to pretend I like doing anything else. While last September I was lamenting about the condition of my Bernina 1008, this year I'm heralding the many uses of my Bernina Serger 1300. I've gone from checkbook covers and market totes to pleated drapes and clothing construction.

We celebrated my husband's birthday in a small party for 4. This year for his 40th, we celebrated with 20!

The flowers on my porch were my pride and joy last year. This year they embarrass me, but I did plant some vegetables this year and I'm proud of that.

On the literary scene I read the last Harry Potter installment. This year I embarked on a journey to write my own novel (almost at 7000 words).

As you can see... keeping a journal or a blog or a diary or WHATEVER you want to call it, is a great thing to do. Otherwise you might just think you're stuck in a rut, going nowhere, perhaps even moving backward. Maybe you should just keep stock. I'm just saying...

CHECK OUT LAST YEAR: http://suburbanbrunette.blogspot.com/2007_09_01_archive.html

4 comments:

T.Tonn said...

Very inspiring!

Glenda said...

And that is the very thing that is so wonderful about technology, specifically blogging. How exciting that your children with have their lives in review!
I laughed because I am doing exactly the same thing as I was doing last year in the 3rd week of September---frantically working at the office while trying to host neighborhood luncheons and parties for lots of people.

laurel said...

I am so glad you have let us in on what you have been doing this past year....it has been a joy. We have loved every minute of your blog!

Elle said...

I think blogging is one of the best things I'm doing for me, my kids, my family and friends. It's just so great to look back and see all that you have done, learned and experienced. GO BLOGGERS! I actually want to print out all of my posts and make a little book for my kids to keep someday. In color of course.