Monday, September 29, 2008

Park Hill


As city dwellers we tend to underestimate the profound joy of growing and harvesting. I'm reminded of it when I take my children to visit my aunt. She lives on an acre, but on her small little plot of land she has rows of raspberries, strawberries, fruit trees, vegetables. She even has a chicken coop.


Coop was the great harvester while there. He plucked the fresh eggs out of the coop. Picked berries off the cane and didn't even bother putting them in a basket -- just gobbled them up as he traveled down the line. He has since asked me many questions about the sunflowers and today even called me a sunflower head. Then he giggled. I'm not sure if sunflower head is like sweetie pie or butthead. But he thought it was funny.


When asked about his adventure at "Park Hill" he tells everyone that you must, "leave the golf ball so the chickens know where to sit." He thought this was the salient detail of the experience.
Mason harvested only rocks from the streambed, but was SO happy to dip his feet in the water and splash.

PS -- You've probably guessed that this aunt takes GROW YOUR OWN very seriously. I'll have more pictures from her spread later in the week.

2 comments:

laurel said...

I miss them. This aunt thinks her yard is missing her two boys!

Elle said...

Man! I can't wait to be like that next year. Should I be planting stuff now or should I wait until Spring next year?