Sunday, August 16, 2009
Majestic and Something Else, I Just Can't Put a Finger On It
I've been home from my journey to Idaho for about a week now. As I've encountered my friends they've each asked me -- because what does everyone always ask -- how was your trip?
I stutter at this question. I never know what to say. I could say any number of things, and all would be true.
1. It was exhausting.
2. We did and saw a lot.
3. It smelled.
4. I'm glad to be home.
5. I was happy to see a lot of my family and friends.
6. I look forward to doing it, again.
7. I hope I don't have to do it again for a long time.
8. The weather was nice.
9. My kids loved getting reacquainted with everyone (especially Uncle).
10. I'm glad I don't live there.
11. I wish I lived closer.
12. I think I got a concussion.
13. It was probably the worst thing I could have done the week before Cooper started school (I wasn't prepared).
14. My kids stayed up until mindinght every night and ate lots of junk food (my kids LOVED it).
I think Cooper summed up the trip the best. When his father asked him if he would ever want to live in Idaho he said, "It's nice, but it smells." Then he wrinkled up his nose and plugged it -- you know to beat the dead horse.
PS -- Idaho doesn't smell per se. It just smells really different to two little city kids. Usual suspects: farm dirt, animals, crops, heavy equipment, reservoir water, etc.