Thursday, July 26, 2007

And That Is Why It Took 12 Hours...

5:59 a.m.
Mason wakes up screaming for a bottle. Sure wish I hadn’t stayed up packing, my eyes feel like they are filled with gravel.

Cooper hears Mason and decides he wants to wake up, too. Oh man, so much for sleeping in, taking a shower, and leaving mid-morning.

7 a.m.
All manner of getting ready ensues. Breakfast (that is not well-received), play clothes, last-minute items thrown in the car…

8:09 a.m.
Pull away from the house and on our way to Utah … leaving daddy behind ☹

Head to the library to drop off some books that will be overdue. Costco for gas. McDonald’s for coffee and a second breakfast. And we’re on the road, again. Mason already asleep.

9 a.m.
Call in-laws and let them know we’re coming. Elect to go the I-70 route. Cooper requests: track 9 from the Curious George CD, “Reduce, Reuse, Recycle.”

10:59 a.m.
Driving through Silverthorn when Cooper announces, “My butt hurts.” Oh boy… this could be an issue. Pull over for some walking around. Walk around a parking lot, place a small blanket under Cooper in the carseat, then pull out hoping this cures the butt ache.

I tell Cooper I’ve got to pee. He asks why. I say that I’ve had too much Coke. He says, “Does yous butt hurts?”

12:40 p.m.
Pull into a rest area outside Glenwood Springs on the banks of the Colorado River. The car says it is 96 degrees outside. Manage to get both boys down to the restroom, we all take a break – so to speak – and wash our hands with the “magic” sinks. (This is to say that they turned on by sensor.)

Then had our picnic lunch on the banks of the Colorado River. At which time Cooper said, “Man, that’s is lots and lots of chocolate milk, mommy.” Boys loved the picnic very much and I suspect would have loved to stay right there the very rest of the day.

1:30 p.m.
Strange lady next to us begins talking to us and then whips out her boobies to breast feed her gigantic child. I say child, because there is NO way it was a baby. Oh, God bless the lactivists. Decide it’s time to pack up and get going, again. But, not before funny, funny, funny thing happened.

Cooper (please see photos) took the diapers wipes I used to wash his hands and began washing our car. And then the tree! He kept very busy with this while I loaded Mason and the stroller back in the car.

I’ve got to go to the bathroom, again. Figure the boys would love new diapers. So, I start looking for a rest area. Just after crossing under the bridge marked with a sign that says something about passing back in time, we find a view area at the top of a cliff/bluff. Looks clean, I pull over. Before I get the stroller out, but after I get the boys out a truck pulls into the area. No big deal… there are truckers in the family. But then I get the 2.4 second leer and my stomach starts telling me something.

So, I meander to Cooper and just pretend we’re walking around, not heading to the bathroom. Next thing I know, man with NO teeth begins talking to us. I get scared when he says, “Looks like you got yer hands full.” But then know I’ve got to get out of there fast when he says something that I literally cannot repeat on the blog. So, I calmly walk away… crouch down and tell a very whinney toddler that he must help mommy and quickly get in the car. Coop must have known, or my instinct must have changed my eyes or my voice or something… because he skeedaddled into his car seat and did not give me any guff.

We were safe and on the road in seconds. Phew! Enough of the creepy stuff.

4 p.m.
We pull into Green River, Utah for gas, diaper changes and a bathroom. Cooper and Mason are both awake by now and getting a bit squirrelly. Pretty uneventful… except that I had to pay 3.29/gallon for gas!

Then the rain starts. Heavy rain, desert rain, drive-the-car-slowly rain.

The next leg of our trip should have been 3 hours. But it was more like 3 ½ hours. And somewhere outside of Provo Steve called to ask me where I was. I had no idea. Utah, you need signage!

5:15 p.m.
Cooper starts trying to play a game in which he makes gun noises and points at Mason. So we rekindle the ongoing gun debate I’ve been having with him and everyone I know. I’ve resigned myself to the fact that he loves guns and he’s going to. So, I figured out that if he’s “shooting” at an inanimate object I feel better about it. We had a discussion about target practice and what target practice is. I – with one hand on the wheel – set up a target in the back seat of the car and he began “shooting” for the next 2 hours.

7 p.m.
Cooper declares (and this was the first and only time), “I’m sick of being in the car.”

7:30 p.m.
We’re here. So happy to see our fantastic hosts. Cooper and Mason immediately start zipping around the house expelling all the energy that was pent up for more than 12 hours.

8-ish p.m.
Grandpa makes scrambled eggs! What a feast.

9-ish p.m.
Aunt Suz comes over with cousin Meghan. Kids are so excited to show off for more adoring fans.

10-ish p.m.
Mason falls asleep, in nothing more than a diaper.

10:30 p.m.
Cooper falls asleep just after I do. ☺

No comments: