Saturday, June 23, 2007

Two-Step at the Broken Spoke

I've taken a spin around around a country-western dance floor in my day. When the local acquaintances hosting us this week asked to go to a well-known country bar and dance hall last night , I didn't expect to see anything new. Oh, wait, I'm in TEXAS.
The no. 1 thing I would have loved to see is my brother Adam try to stand up in this place. The history of the architecture of this place is the owners opened a small room on the edge of town decades ago (the pictures of willie n. Had no wrinkles). As they grew -- and the town up around them -- they added on lean-to style, over and over, again. The place looked to have the engineering stability of a 4th graders fort!
The ceilings were all very low and in the room with all the pictures my head skimmed on the ceiling panels (I'm only 5' 8")! The whole place smelled like my grandpa's barn.

The Broken Spoke -- apt named -- had a live performer/band, a small restaurant (about the size of my front room), a bar (about the size of my master closet), a "tourist trap" filled with pictures of famous cw singers (smaller than the bar), and a dance floor with seating.
The dance floor was very long and biggish... Maybe 20'x50'. Then two levels of aisles of picnic tables that encircled the entire floor (with a little stage at the front for the band).
My handsome Steve got asked to dance the minute we walked in the door! (I was so proud.) I took a few spins, as well. And then I saw them...
There was a young couple that was dancing -- and they were truly talented. I've never seen such good dancers. After watching them for a couple of hours I had to introduce myself and tell them how much I enjoyed watching them dance. They acted flattered but a little bit like, "where ya'll from, new york city!?!?" The young man offered to take me around for a quick lesson, but I am so bad I just couldn'taccept.
I feel like we got to see something authentically Texan. (Not just the good dancers, but the bad ones, too.) The very cutest thing about the place was a hand written sign above one of the doorways/steps down onto the dance floor that said, "duck, honey!"

No comments: