Wednesday, August 8, 2007

The Life Goal... no. 71,938

Many have heard me say that I have a life goal to sew a quilt for every niece and nephew that I have and will ever have. Well, I'm making it official after running across this quote:

"I've been a hard worker all my life, but 'most all my work has been the kind that 'perishes with the usin', as the Bible says. That's the discouragin' thing about a woman's work...if a woman was to see all the dishes that she had to wash before she died, piled up before her in one pile, she'd lie down and die right then and there. I've always had the name o' bein' a good housekeeper, but when I'm dead and gone there ain't anybody goin' to think o' the floors I've swept, and the tables I've scrubbed, and the old clothes I've patched, and the stockin's I've darned....But when one of my grandchildren or great-grandchildren sees one o' these quilts, they'll think about Aunt Jane, and, wherever I am then, I'll know I ain't forgotten."
~Aunt Jane of Kentucky, ca. 1900

Now, seeing as I got a late start some of those nieces and nephews will be OLD when I finally get around to the quilt. But I do have some of them done. Check, check. Don't go starting to look in your mailbox waiting for yours to show up. It's a LIFE goal. May take my whole life.

ps -- Of course I'll be sure to make a few of you non-niece and nephew types a quilt, too.

pss -- Ever since reading this quote I've been speaking like I'm on Appalachia 9-1-1

No comments: