Friday, May 4, 2007

Conestoga Hide Out

When I was in the 3rd and 4th grades I attended schools in Gillette, Wyoming. One of the schools was called Conestoga Elementary – or at least the mascot was the Conestoga wagons. For those of you unfamiliar with Wyoming – that’s a really freaking small town in the middle of freaking nowhere. Also a town that thought elementary-aged children could get keyed up about an oxen-drawn, covered wagon. A little backward.

It’s no wonder -- given that I received 4th-grade history (also known as state history) in Wyoming and on green-screen computers playing with Oregon Trail -- that I would find myself in this position:


Yes! My kids love riding in the covered caravan, Conestoga style. Other moms look at me like I’m the overprotective mother that’s afraid sunscreen is not enough. But it has nothing to do with me. It’s primarily Cooper and his love of hiding in small spaces. If I peek in the tent he exclaims, “Close the door!” Which, of course, provokes the whole “don’t boss your mother” conversation. But that’s another blog for another day.


Mason update: These pictures of Mas were taken yesterday. He was still feeling a little sleepy and doe-eyed. Tonight his eyes started to darken. Black eyes are pretty common among small children that are put under, apparently. It’s from having their eyes taped shut. But he’s fine and in great spirits.


PS -- I figure I went to Sunday school at least 550 times in my life. Which would explain why I started singing "Pioneer children sang as they walked, and walked, and walked" on my way to the library. Of course that's the only line I remembered and because Cooper likes singing, I had to just keep singing it over, and over, and over, again. Damn those riveting lyrics.

No comments: