Saturday, May 19, 2007

Les Cuisses de Grenouilles

Perhaps you were thinking we would recount a story of French delicacy. Nope… just showing off Mason’s frog legs.

But upon seeing this picture of Mason, Steve said, “Did I tell you I ate escargot in Mesquite?” It’s one thing to eat escargot in Marseille or La Rochelle – quite another to try them in landlocked Mesquite, Nevada, population 13,500. But ever since our beloved TV show Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmer became a mainstay on our TiVo menu, Steve has surprised me with his menu selections.
When I asked him what they tasted like he thought long and hard before hesitantly describing them as, “Buttery, garlicky mussels.” Nice, just what I would order. But who am I to judge, afterall they are good for your health and are full of calcium, magnesium, and vitamin C. On that trip, probably a better part of the more nutritious fare.
Now that we’ve got that gastronomic adventure out of the way, let me share with you some of Mason’s favorite foods. We have met few things Mason won’t eat and eat with enthusiasm. For such a small guy, he can put it away. I’ve been much more lax in my introduction of food types to him and am really only a stickler on ovum and dairy. We’ll be waiting until his 1st birthday for that stuff. But I have done much more research with this baby and made a lot of the food at home. I think this helps with the taste factor.
The obvious loves of choice are all the cereals… barley, millet, oat, and rice. We don’t give him too much rice as he gets plugged up easily. He’s also a fan of green beans, squash, sweet potatoes, zucchini, apples, peaches, pears, avocados, and bananas. Again, we go easy on the bananas. We recently purchased some quinoa to see if he likes that. We’ll keep you posted.
While Mason has had mango, he has NOT had papaya or melons. I have mild allergic reactions to foods in these groups, so we’re going slow with these – just as we did with Cooper. We are going to a family picnic, however, and I plan to let him try the melon if he’s interested.
The newest food in Mason’s repertoire – and certainly one of his favorites – is tofu! Yes, just mix up that gelatinous goodness with a little oatmeal and he goes crazy.
PS – for our relatives across the pond, I hear you can get very good frog legs in London at the Cafe des Amis at 11 - 14 Hanover Place, Covent Garden, WC2E 9JP. Good Luck.

No comments: