Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Micro Memory Lane

Let me just roll over and croak. It's freaking snowing. We'll be staying inside today. Bummer. We're stir crazy. More crafts and cleaning.

Cooper actually went to school today -- was excited to see his friend Jack and play with "mini" cars. Do you remember these?

They were popular when I was in junior high. That's the benefit of having a preschool teacher who has been in the business for a very long time. She has vintage toys! Come on, you have to remember these things... they were a line of toys originally made by Galoob in the 80s and 90s.

I've looked for them online because I couldn't believe she had a real playset of them. You literally cannot get them in the U.S. unless you go on eBay and pay a fortune. There are sites devoted to the Micro Machines as if they were museum-quality, collector items!

All I remember about them -- because I don't think my brothers had any -- was that insidious fast-talker in their TV commercials, ending each one with the slogan "Just like the real thing, only smaller". Remember?

Anywho, it really appeals to Coop's meticulous motor skills. As his teacher explains, he really loves toys for one or two people, really loves pretend-play, and really loves cars/trucks. I translate that as, no mobs, no limits, and no girls!

PHOTO CREDITS: Cooper when he was a micro machine...
December 2004, first golf grip

No comments: